Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Slug Life

Mornings have always been slow for me. I fact, I can't think of a time where I wanted to get up and move right away in the morning. This has not caused too many problems in the last 12 years, as I've worked nights since college. Before that however, I missed more than a coupe classes in college, and chased the bus in high school more than I care to admit.

Today, this slow morning syndrome is only a problem when I am trying to get the kids up for school. Godzilla takes two to three wake-up calls before he will roll out of bed, and then it's instantly the groans of a man 59 years his elder. How can a six-year-old wake up with a sore back? Once he finally gets dressed, its a trudging shuffle out to breakfast where he supports his head on his hand as he lazily munches on his food.

I cant really get upset at his morning pace, not when it took hitting the snooze twice to get out of bed myself. Add to that the fact that he doesn't even have coffee to crutch himself up, and I have major sympathy for him.

So, we work our way through breakfast and out the door to school and turn to his brother

E wakes up slowly in his crib, cries for someone to come get him and takes about 10 minutes of cuddling before he's able to walk around without falling over. He literally stumbles around the living room like a drunken sailor if you put him down first thing in the morning. I've seen him walk into walls and fall down straight on his diapered butt.

I really don't mind a few minutes of cuddle time in the morning, as long as he lets me get to the coffee before very long. Breakfast can always wait until I have time to do it up right, but the coffee can't wait.

Nat, meanwhile, has finally started to embrace her morning routine. She gets up and gets right to work getting ready for school. (Although, she would still stay in bed all day if she could, if we would let her just read) It is hard to look at her and not see the little girl who needed my help to brush her teeth, who always asked me for songs at bedtime, who ran and jumped into my arms before I left for work (though that last one may still apply) For the most part, she has things in hand now. She gets up and moves in the morning, brushing her hair, checking her backpack, watching for the bus, and very little of my style of sleepy foot dragging.

Here I sit, writing this post for the third day in a row, and it's not even much of an update. Blame my work schedule, blame wanting to spend my day off with my family, blame my kids demanding too much of my time, but you'd probably have to blame my slug life too.

Oh well, looks like it's time for more coffee, maybe then I'll get something done.





2 comments:

  1. So, your children inherited your not a morning person gene. It seems to have not slowed you down much.
    Some funny descriptions here. I laughed about the baby falling down. I hope that doesn't make me sound evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Larry. I'll be honest, watching the baby stumble around puts a smile on my face as well.

      Delete